Dr. William P.
1925 - Dr. William P. Fraser became the first curator of the W.P.
Fraser Herbarium and a Professor of Biology at the University of Saskatchewan.
He maintained his accumulated collections in the Biology Department
until his death in 1943, six years beyond his retirement.
1954 - The Fraser collections were rescued from a decade-long hiatus
of essential neglect by Dr. Robert T. Coupland. The Fraser collection
was transferred to the Department of Plant Ecology in the College
of Agriculture. Dr. Coupland curated his own collections and the
Fraser collection until 1961.The Fraser collections and Dr. Coupland's plant ecology collections
became fully merged during the 1960's and were officially recognized
as "The W. P. Fraser Herbarium of Vascular Plants".In 1961, Dr. George W. Argus became curator, and in 1969 Dr. Vernon
L. Harms took over the position.In July, 2000, Dr. Hugo Cota-Sanchez began his new position as
an Assistant Professor in Biology and curator of the W.P. Fraser
The Department of Plant Sciences of the College of Agriculture
provides basic funding for equipment and supplies and staff salaries.
An important supplemental source of income is provided by the estate
of pioneer Saskatchewan botanist, August Breitung, to support the
herbarium and plant taxonomy at the University of Saskatchewan.